Computed Tomography (CT or CAT scan) is an x-ray based procedure that combines many x-ray images with the aid of a computer. The x-ray tube and detector circulate around the body and take many pictures. The advantage of CT is that there is no overlapping of structures and every bone or organ can be assessed individually. While the primary CT image shows an axial or transverse slice of your body, we can reconstruct images in all different angles possible. Sometimes, the diagnostic accuracy is improved by the administration of intravenous, oral or rectal contrast. This may help the radiologist differentiate healthy tissue from diseased structures.
Due to their relatively short examination time, CT scans are well suited for the quick examination of patients who have suffered from acute injuries or trauma. CT can be used to take images of most parts of the body.
At CTMH Doctors Hospital Imaging our CT-services include:
- Head, neck, chest, abdominal and pelvic CT with and without IV contrast and if necessary with oral and/or rectal contrast
- Brain CT and CT-angiography
- Musculoskeletal Imaging of the spine, bones and joints
- Virtual colonoscopy
- CT-guided biopsies and injections including arthrograms
- Paediatric CT in sedation with paediatric/anaesthesiologic stand-by